Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cheyenne

This summer I was greeted with an amazing opportunity kinda by chance...

I was coming home from a 10-6 rehearsal day of FINIAN'S RAINBOW. My mother had informed me of an audition for a movie that was going to be filmed in my town at the local public library. As I drove by, I knew it was just starting, but I really wanted to go home. But something said to go inside; so I obeyed and filed into a really long line.

Little did I know that I would not only be called in as an extra, but as a stand-in for one of my most favorite actors and singers, Cheyenne Jackson. I had just recently seen him in the Broadway revival of FINIAN'S RAINBOW, and had watched all of his YouTube videos, marveling at the control of his voice. Not to mention his dedication to being true to himself as an openly gay actor on the big stage and screen makes me so happy. He is my inspiration. By truly being himself and nothing else, he has succeeded in so many ways.

So, you can see how excited I was to meet him...

The whole process of this production was amazing. I had never worked on a film before, but everyone was so kind and generous with their time to teach me the lingo plus what everything meant and was used for. I made some great friendships, including Jason (the actor playing opposite Cheyenne who is by far one of the most talented actors I have ever had the privilege of watching work) and Cheyenne. I wrote some little thank you cards to both of them as well as the producers and the director to thank them for a wonderful journey and allowing me to take the ride with them all.

I then got an email back from Cheyenne...

Cheyenne wrote some really wonderful things to me, advice that I will take with me forever and wherever I go:
- What I noticed about you is that you were always watching, always listening, always absorbing. That is so important. Keep that up. That's how you learn.
- Stay focused and strong and true to yourself. Your parents will come around fully and your relationship with them will be all the stronger.


Thank you Cheyenne. Can't wait to see you on October 29th at your concert at Carnegie Hall!

No comments:

Post a Comment