Wednesday, September 8, 2010

An Opening...

I never really thought I would create one of these. But here I am, like all other new bloggers, wondering how to not sound cliche, how to create something new, and where to go.

Well, I don't know how to do any of those really.
- I know I'll sound cliche. My gut is full of corn and cheese.
- What is "new"? (See, already cliche...)
- Can one even go anywhere on/in a blog?

I'm guessing that the best way to go about this is to just explain the happenings of a day, of an experience, followed by a clued in format of how I responded.

Alright, here goes nothing...

I live in Guilford, CT, at home. I just finished school so, yeah... Whoopee! How great it is to be back at home after having created my own life away from here for four years now!!....

But, no, it's great, really. I have a flexible job as a gardener's assisstant, I have a lovely home with great parents and a wonderful dog, Jasper, a vegetable garden (which is has seemingly baked in the summer heat) and over 30 egg-laying hens.

The goal is to save money by staying at home. I've been working my tail off, trying to get to certain goals each month with my bank account, and it's been paying off quite nicely. It's been hard. But that's what has got to happen. Who knows how much I'll have when I actually move to the city. But, however much I have, that's how much I'll have and I'll make it work.

What I did this summer:
- Co-Choreographed and was an Ensemble member in Artful Living's production of ANNIE. Great people, amazing production quality and talent for community theatre, and fun memories all around.
- Worked as Cheyenne Jackson's stand-in for a movie that was being filmed in Guilford called THE GREEN... More stories about that later...
- Choreographed and was an Ensemble member in Ivoryton Playhouse's production of FINIAN'S RAINBOW. This was my first time working here after it has been made an Equity Theater, so I got my first 6 Equity Membership Candidate points and excited to get more! A talented cast and really lovely production of a classic filled with beautiful music and clever word-play.

To say the least, it was busy. But so enjoyable. I'm sure stories from those productions will filter in throughout the blog...

At the beginning of the summer, I was planning on moving into NYC in September, aka, now. Then I thought I should wait till after the big school housing rush, thus October. Now, I'm planning on being there in February... How did it get pushed back so far??? Well, I got offered to go back up to Middlebury and choreograph their January musical, "Urinetown". They're housing me, feeding me, and paying me so why not? Even though I'll of course be going during the coldest month of the year to Vermont, it will be nice to be around. It could make my separation from my fours years there that much easier or that much harder.

Now that it is September though, it's time to beat the pavement and go for those jobs in NYC. This afternoon I got back from a two-day trip into the city for my first ever NYC auditions. I've been lucky enough to have lived so close to the city my entire life and am quite familiar with how to get around and feel comfortable navigating my way through the grid. I have a lot of friends who are always so generous to have me stay on their couches whenever I am in the city, so I always have a free place to bunk.

I was given a great piece of advice from the producer of the movie I just worked on (who has become a great friend and mentor). He said that your action for every audition should be: "You can trust me with your most valued possessions." I found that so helpful these past few days. It really gave me a solid grounding to keep my jitters from taking over my body and mind.

So, what I auditioned for...

Tuesday, September 7th, 2010

- WOULDA, COULDA, SHOULDA (EPA. A new show with jazz music. I sang "Old Devil Moon" from FINIAN'S with a little jazz twist as inspired by Cheyenne Jackson's version on his CD. I felt pretty good. I found my smudge on the wall to throw all my acting actions to and I stayed calm. I was nervous, so I wasn't as grounded breath wise as I had wished, but it was my first...)

Wednesday, Septemeber 8th, 2010

- AVENUE Q (Non-Equity Tour. I got there at 7:30, put my name down, #86, waited for two, two and a half hours, and then was typed out. So I ran to Pearl to get into the next auditions for the day.)

- FOLLIES (ECC - Singers who move well. The revival production that is starting at the Kennedy Center and hopefully moving to Broadway soon. I sang 16 bars of  "All  I Need Is The Girl" from GYPSY [one of my most favorite roles I have played]. Once again, not really grounded. But I kept the focus best I could. The musical director was so nice. He went, "Can I give you some advice... Get a new headshot." I do need a new one. The one I have is 3 years old and I have chenged a lot. So that's next on my agenda: NEW HEADSHOT!)

- MARY POPPINS (EPA. The Broadway production... I didn't think I was going to get in because I was at FOLLIES, but they hadn't gotten to my name yet on the EMC list when I came in after my other audition. So I waited a few minutes and was called in to sing. Now, I didn't prepare a contemporary full song for this audition, so I just did "All I Need..." all the way through. It was pushing it seeing that GYPSY was from 1959, and they wanted something post 1960. But I went in confidently and just did my best. It was by far the best audition I have had yet! I was grounded and supported all the way through the song. I kept my movement as small and specific as possible, finding that smudge again and singing directly to it. I think I could have done a bit more with acting, but I was trying to keep myself grounded more than anything and not let movement create an over-acting situation. Note for next time though, always have something ready in every genre for all the auditions that day.)

Two days, four auditions, seen three times. I'm quite happy. :-)

Hey, I'm kinda liking this blogging stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment