Monday, August 15, 2011

Dancin' Again!

I took my first dance class since a year year ago tonight. 
It was amazing.
I had forgotten how much I love dance classes: stretching, sweating, strengthening, and picking up choreography. My good friend Sally Swallow, whom I went to Middlebury with (she was our Sally Bowles in our version of CABARET up there) suggested that we go and take class together then have dinner after to catch up. I am so grateful that she suggested getting back into the studio; I always get nervous going back, knowing that I’ll be out of shape, stiff, and rusty on picking up the steps. 
But this was different somehow.
We were taking the Intermediate/Advanced Musical Theatre Dance class at Broadway Dance Center. Tonight we had a sub, Michael Mindlin, and he was superb! Be sure to check out his BDC faculty bio to know when he is teaching. So talented and grounded in his art.


http://www.broadwaydancecenter.com/faculty/bios/mindlin_michael.shtml


Our warm-up was definitely a workout, but also so fluid and relaxed, allowing me to center myself and really let my muscles warm-up properly as they came out of hibernation for their solid stretching session. Then we got to learn a routine for the second hour: a Fosse inspired piece to “Don’t Rain On My Parade”. It was subtle yet so powerful in its direction changes, intricate turns, head pops, and arm extensions. Dance heaven.
I was really nervous when it came to do the full combo in our small group of guys, wondering if I would remember the steps with all the other dancers watching along with the instructor (whose dancing was quite literally effortless... pure beauty.). What I told myself though before those first hip hits began the combination was, “Have fun Schuyler. Just have fun.”
Did I get all of it perfectly. No way. But I got a lot more than I ever thought I would with my dusty technique. And more importantly, I had an absolute blast. My goal in the future is to feel confident enough to step up to the front line and perform there without the safety of the other better dancers in front to jog my memory when I go blank. All in good time... 
So, Sally and I now have a weekly date: Mondays, 4-6, BDC, Int./Adv. Musical Theatre Dance. Screw a gym membership; time to get my BDC dance card and get back into class. I had the time of my life tonight PLUS got in shape! What’s better than that? 

If you’re in the area and want to come, dance, and have a smile imprinted on your face, come on down with Sally and I. We all will have a grand old time yessir! We’ll have a grand old time!
  

1 comment:

  1. I love this Schuyler! If you were nervous...your dancing fooled me! Can't wait for next week.
    xo

    ReplyDelete