Tuesday, February 14, 2012

One Year: Part 1

Valentine’s Day 2012: 
One year ago today I moved from Guilford to pursue dreams. 
A year ago today I packed my father’s pick-up with my belongings and moved to North Bergen, New Jersey. Even though I technically wasn’t living on the island of Manhattan just yet, I was out of Jersey 95% of the time. I came into the city for auditions, to meet up with friends, as well as begin to figure out more about this city I dreamt being a part of. And here I was, a part of it. 
To honor my first 12 months in the city, I thought I would write 12 anecdotes of recent events for the next 12 days. So be sure to come back and read the rest!
1. HETEROGENEOUS AUDITIONING
I heard this phrase at an audition this past Sunday, and it totally sums up the kinds of auditions we’re having recently. Great regional theaters from around the country come here to NYC to audition possible candidates for their upcoming seasons. These theaters do amazing work, bringing high quality theatre to audiences who may not be able to travel to or afford a Broadway ticket. 
For these auditions, creative teams and casting directors ask actors to prepare one or two selections from songs that are “similar to our season”. But this is near to impossible, finding a song that encompasses an entire theater’s season, as shows can range from Golden Age classics to pop/rock modern pieces. Basically, I don’t want to sing a classic musical theatre piece even though a theatre may be putting on “Oklahoma” because they’re also producing “Cabaret” and “Altar Boyz”, musicals far from classic musical theatre. 
It’s a big game, determining what you believe you’re best for in their season, then picking a song in that show’s style that could also possibly be translated for the other shows in the season. Not the easiest task, but I’ve found that the best way to choose a song for a certain audition is have a couple in mind and sing the one I want to sing when I get to that day. It’s all about making the audition an opportunity for me to have fun; create an opportunity to remember why I love doing what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment