Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Move!

6:45 this morning. My alarm goes off to get going to the Non-Equity audition for “Guys and Dolls” on Long Island this summer. With a brand new outfit, a new kind of hair wax (American Crew Fiber... simply amazing. I’m in love.), and Old Devil Moon in my heart, I made my way to Nola Studios with gusting winds blowing around me, making the already frigid air sting that much more. I then proceed to wait a half an hour outside with my iced coffee from Starbucks (Note to self: Iced coffee in the winter is maybe not always the best choice.) waiting for the doors to open. Sure, there was the classic “Unofficial List” of an order which I signed and then could have left to go and wait in doors somewhere. But I decided to stay after putting my name on it, as those are usually just thrown out. If you want it, you wait for it, even if your fingers feel like they’re going to fall off in a clean slice from the bitter cold. The proctor ended going off the list after all... Go figure. Luckily I signed up early.
I ended up being number 18 with the people who didn’t show up being cut out of the way. I went in and sang my 16 bars (shhh... it’s actually 18) and felt pretty decent about it. As I waited to hear if I got called back to dance, I struck up a conversation with a new friend I met at the audition, Matt. That’s what I love about auditioning. You start meeting people and just chat about the business, learning new things every time. Matt got called back to dance while I didn’t, but we had time to go and grab a bite to eat before his next section of the audition. We chatted about auditioning, the Circle in the Square program, work (He suggested tutoring, which was a perfect idea! So I’m totally going to look into that...), and living situations.
Now, let’s back up a bit. I was going to be living with my real-person-banker-college friend Peter, but it unfortunately fell through. I do hope to live with him someday, but what I need housing wise right now is not a full year lease. So, I started looking into sublets and was finding a lot of great options. I was directed to Gypsy Housing on Facebook by my friend from “Finian’s Rainbow”, Jayson, which is a group dedicated to actors looking for housing opportunities. And that’s where I found Taylor’s add for her apartment in North Bergen, NJ. Only 20 minutes from Port Authority with a huge room, great price, and a super roommate who’s in the biz that I’d be living with (Kathleen), it was perfect. Sure, I wanted to move to NYC, but this feels so right for now on all levels. The sublet goes through April, and maybe June depending on Taylor’s show schedule. 
So today, after my audition, as I was heading back to Connecticut, I got the call from Taylor saying that she wanted to offer me the sublet after chatting with a few other options. I was so happy I could barely make out a sentence. Finally, I can actually start! This is what I have been waiting for for so long now. This is what I needed to feel that sense of foundation, that connection to the Big Apple that would hopefully just infuse a stronger grounding sensation in my auditions. Just the knowledge that I will have a place of my own with my own bed and fridge only a half an hour away makes everything in my body relax somehow. 
Now I have to get all my stuff together. I’ve been thinking about it for a long time now, so it’s just a matter of pulling it all together and transporting what I need. It’s all in my room; I just need to put it in bags. Lots of bags...
I wanted to chat about sending in your headshot and resume via email to some shows. I’ve sent in a good amount and have only heard back from a few, which is totally understandable. I got one response recently that was so sweet and renewed a whole sense of support and confidence in me:
Hi Schuyler,

Thank you so much for submitting.  I wanted to personally write you, because I would like you to know, that there are two reasons why I regrettably can not have you come in at this time.  One, we have already filled all of our slots this Saturday.  Two, you are simply too tall for this show.  The other person that has been cast is much shorter and would not look proper on stage.  The reason I want you to know this is because we feel strongly about you.  We will keep your p/r in our files for future shows.  Thank you so much for submitting again.  We look look forward to hopefully casting you in the future.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Neal
Artistic Director
theatron, a theatre company
The fact that he spent the time to write that email meant so much to me, and I obviously responded with my biggest thanks. Today after my big news, I got an email from the casting director for “Angelina Ballerina! The Musical” to come and audition for their male swing after having sent in my headshot and resume a few weeks ago. I’m super excited and will be fitting in that work whenever I’m not packing. I also got an email back from “Madame the Musical” which I had sent my information in for as well that we’ll all be hearing back about audition slots soon. That sounds like a show that is right up my alley: a dark, 1930‘s, drag musical. AMAZING! What’s not to like about that?! Be sure to check out their Facebook page and website under “Madame the Musical”. Looks like a great project!
Tomorrow’s plans include a trip to COSTCO (when one eats as much as I do, one must buy in bulk) and lots of packing. It’s like going away to college, but intensified on so many different levels. Sure, there are things that I’m still terrified about like finding work and being able to pay for everything while also trying to save and pay student loans. But I know that that fear isn’t helping me any bit. I need to be confident and smart, not wary and feeble. 
I’m so close.  

No comments:

Post a Comment