Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Start of Something New.

So many things are happening right now in my head, it’s extremely difficult to put fingers to keys to write this entry. I’ve been thinking about this entry for a long time now, wanting to chat about my time with this new cabaret I have been working on since May. 

Now, all of a sudden, my show is done with a 40 minute performance. It just went by so fast and there is so much to process about the actual evening at The Duplex plus “the beyond”. 
The performance was perfection for myself. I was actually surprised about how good I felt throughout my entire time onstage. I felt happy, secure, and comfortable in my piece with the rehearsal I had had with my directors. That rehearsal time gave me confidence to fall into this piece and cohesively share this performance with the audience. There was this strength that filled my being unlike any other time that I’ve been onstage. It felt so right to be there.
To accompany this pure joy of performing this piece, I was joined by the most loving and amazing audience I will probably ever perform for in my life. The family and friends that were able to make it out will always hold the most special place in my heart. Along with this super audience, all of the people who weren’t able to be there sent their love either through beautiful notes or Kickstarter donations. The support I received from everyone in creating this piece astounded me. I will be forever grateful for everyone’s love in this journey.
What have I learned from this voyage into another cabaret experience? 
I learned that I have something to say. 
I learned that I want to be the one to create opportunities in order to share these ideas. 
I learned that my venue is the cabaret stage.
This is where I belong, and I am ready to continue on in this cabaret medium. The ideas that are coming with this new home on the cabaret stage are endless at this point. So, how do I bring these to the table in a compelling, original, and entertaining format?
I need to learn more. Learning doesn’t only come through these opportunities to try out shows in front of audiences, which has been how I’ve been learning about cabaret since I started last December. It’s time to expand my vocabulary and understanding of the performing arts in general (something my roommate Jayson has been stressing for months now). I’m now seeing that I have to learn more about what has happened, what paths have been paved, and paying respect to the geniuses who have graced the stage. Everything from one-person shows, to recording artists’ live shows, to musicals, it’s time to immerse myself and really learn the history of my art.
So this is my idea to start this educational journey: Listen to a musical soundtrack everyday. I’m going to start with what I have and then go to the Lincoln Center library to find more. Luckily, Jayson’s knowledge and library is super extensive, so I’ll be in good hands. :-)
Tonight, I’m going to kick off my new endeavors with a medium Dominos Meat Lovers’ Pizza and “Liza With A Z”. 
I’m ready for this new adventure and dedication to creation in the cabaret world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment