Monday, December 10, 2012

Myth Bringing Fact


A couple weeks ago I had the great opportunity to teach a mini-lesson about writing for Raina's 4th graders. I brought these young minds the knowledge that came to me within my recent years, knowing though that these young ones would connect, find validity, and grow.

The education system unfortunately instills regiment when purposing a productive and flowing piece of writing. Introduction, three supporting ideas, conclusion. Each paragraph 5 to 6 sentences. Sentence structure itself. Words to and not to start sentences. Etc.

Sometimes though, you just gotta write a sentence that feels right even though it may not jive with the "rules". And that's okay because that's how you can best express yourself.

Okay, so I didn't share those specific ideas with the kids because they should learn the basics... BUT, I did share that writing comes in all forms. I brought in some journals and shared bits and pieces, stories and poems, so they could see that writing not only came in many forms, but it ultimately comes from the individual soul who is brave enough to share. 

Raina then segued the lesson into having the kids write true stories of something that had happened to them. The story that Raina shared was one from Bobolinks Fall Tour, when the entire a cappella group was at my parents' house in Guilford; Raina and some other gals decided they were going to make Butternut Squash soup. When the beautiful, golden-yellow concoction went into the blender, a push of the button flew squash around the kitchen, blending with our already golden-yellow walls. Followed by a laugh, we decided to order pizza.

As I listened and laughed along with the kids, I couldn't believe I had forgotten this epic Bobos tale. 

When the kids left for music, Raina and I got to chat about the morning and how shocked I was that I had forgotten all those details.

"Well," she said. "I had to amp up some of the facts so they could better see the writing tools we're trying to use (onomatopoeia, a "hook", etc.)."

Sometimes fact becomes myth, and myth becomes fact. We get to the final, rudimentary emotional values and educational victories, no matter which journey we take. 

Here's Raina singing "Brave Enough" from Shaina Taub's mythologically based musical, THE DAUGHTERS. Be sure to go to her website and download some of the songs from the musical for FREE; I love "I Sing of Artemis"!

Happy watching!





No comments:

Post a Comment