Wednesday, February 15, 2012

One Year: Part 2

2. BABYSITTING IN THE CITY
This past January I started babysitting here in the city, and I’m remembering how much I missed working with kids. My acting advisor from Middlebury, Alex Draper, is here in the city for his sabbatical year with his family. They all needed some help with afternoon pick-ups and dinner/homework help for a few weeks while Alex has been rehearsing for a show. I was so happy to be available and help out down in Brooklyn Heights. 
Babysitting in the city is very different than in Connecticut. I mean, it’s New York City. There are speeding cars, open gaps in the sidewalk, not to mention crowds of people to have kids get lost within. With some ground-rules laid between Toby, Nora and I, we found a way to have safe fun all the time. 
I’ve loved being able to explore Brooklyn Heights with the kids. I now make a mean chicken nugget, grilled cheese, buttered pasta, steamed broccoli, and shelled edamame. Reading “The Lorax” to Toby is now a mini performance opportunity for a fantastic, attentive audience member. Helping Nora with her math, writing, and spelling has allowed me to introduce some of my education studies techniques from Midd into the real world, proving quite exciting. Overall, I’m now seeing how much happier I am with a job like this in the city and I’m now looking for more babysitting gigs here for the future.

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine in NYC/Fordham area (she's a senior @Fordham this year who's also a fellow Ivoryton alum BTW-Emma Downing) gets babysitting gigs between school and rehearsals because she's signed up with
    http://www.sensiblesitters.com/

    Perhaps its something you could check out for those slots in between shows and rehearsals.

    ReplyDelete