Tuesday, February 21, 2012

One Year: Part 8

8. AUDITIONS: FREE NETWORKING
What I love most about auditions is the 99% possibility of running into friends. No matter what day, I always seem to run into someone I have done a show with or someone I know simply from auditioning. I love striking up conversations with new people as we sit, side by side, waiting for our time to sing. I learn about the creative teams and casting directors in the rooms, auditions at other studios, shows coming up, as well as people’s personal histories coming to make it big in the city. 
These moments outside the room happen to be some of the best networking opportunities here in NYC. It always pays to be friendly to everyone in this world, and it surprises me everyday watching how naive and ignorant actors can be towards other theatrical compadres. These are your future cast mates and creators, and a bad memory of someone sticks the same, if not more, than a good impression of a person’s integrity. 
Really though, I just love laughing and hearing people’s stories; it calms me before the stresses of auditions. While auditioning can be hard, painful even, usually scary, it’s these opportunities that bring me out of my little Harlem room. It’s the reason I started doing theatre: the honest, creative, driven, kind, invested people I get to hang out with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment